Last Weekend and Small Town Problems

I just realized I never blogged about our amazing weekend last week! Shame on me.

LAST WEEKEND
We decided to spend our Saturday in LA. Our plan was to go to the Temple, an Ethiopian restaurant then if we had time go to the Santa Monica Pier. The LA Temple is 2 hours from where we live but luckily, even with the traffic we made perfect timing! I was super nervous because this was only my second time doing this! I didn't want to get lost, do something wrong or embarrass myself. It's pretty impossible  (okay almost impossible) to do any of those, there is always someone to help you but still, I was nervous.



We had a wonderful time at the Temple. It was special this time and we really enjoyed it.

Then after looking at a bunch of reviews the day before we went to an Ethiopian Restaurant in LA. Dan served his mission in Uganda and Ethiopia. He ordered for us and said the food was pretty darn authentic! It was delicious though, I really enjoyed it.




The bread on the bottom is Injera, it's like a thin spongy sourdough pancake. The red stuff in the middle is Doro Wot, it's chicken and lentils in a bunch of very red sauce and spices. The meat on the side is Zelzel tibs, beef, onion and yummy spices. You take the injera and grab the meats with your fingers. No utensils!

SMALL TOWN PROBLEMS

I grew up in Meridian for basically all of my life and spent a good amount of time in Boise as well. I have always thought I've lived in a decent sized place and town. Then I moved to California and realized  how wrong I was.

I'm used to living a half mile from the grocery store and about 2 miles from anything else I needed (Eagle Road). Now I have to get on the highway to go grocery shopping. Well actually there is a Walgreens closer but anywhere south of us in the ghetto. I'm not just saying 'ghetto' like a white girl from Idaho, it really is scary down there and everyone knows it.

UPDATE: We did find a grocery store like albertsons less than a mile away from us! Yaaaay! But all our major shopping will be down the highway. boo.

I thought Eagle Road at 6 pm was traffic. Hahahahahahaha I was SO WRONG. I went to pick up Dan from work last Friday and it took me 30 minutes to get on the highway from the on ramp. Then trying to merge into cars that are fed up with stopping and going for the last 5 miles- yeah they aren't happy! Oh and don't get me started about when we were driving to LA. By the time we're done here Utah drivers ain't got nothing on me! 

I'm not used to cement medians that prevent you from turning left. Eagle Road back home in just now putting them in. That's just how they do it here and I've almost hit them.. more times that I'd like to admit... don't tell Dan.

I thought sketchy was down town Boise at night in a dark alley. Okay that is sketchy but Oildale is much worse. Oildale is the town we live in but our address is in Bakersfield. I don't know how that works but Oildale is serious sketch. For those of you from the boise area is like Garden City (you know when you drive down chiden forever) but worse. I went to the post office in Oildale and was freaked out because it's right next to a CASKET STORE. What?! Weird.

Well I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any right now. Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wedding and a crash... does that make us wedding crashers?

This is Important

January