I Still Get Excited about the Ice Cream Man

Dan was gone Sunday - Wednesday this week and it wasn't fun. He was on an expedition with the college in Dallas, Texas for office visits, networking and interviews with account firms for future jobs. So while he was having an awesome time meeting people, being fed and seeing his sister and their family in Texas I was still in Idaho. I missed having him home. The house felt empty. And every sound I heard in the night was something that was going to kill me. I kept myself distracted with school and work, watched episodes of Lost during my free time and went to bed early.
Dan and our new niece Sydney. Isn't she so cute! I'm so jealous because I haven't got to meet her yet. Btw Dan looks like a natural dad, yeah?

Monday I came home from class to find these hanging on my door!
I was super confused at first but then saw it was a bag of delicious cookies from Dan's parents! They sent them with some friend who were coming back to Rexburg from Colorado. I definitely needed cookies that day haha it was so sweet and so thoughtful! I managed to save enough of them until Dan got home too!

Like I said above I did a lot of Lost watching and I finally finished it! I. Loved. It. Man I'm so attached to that show and I feel like the characters are my best friends. I thought I would be so depressed when it ended but the finale was so amazing that I felt so at peace haha this probably sounds so lame to those of you who haven't watched Lost but for those of you who have - you know what I mean

Dan came home late Wednesday night and through a series of unfortunate events I got locked out of the house the next day. Dan had the car and I planned to walk home from work, he thought I had a house key. I did not and the door was locked. This would be fine any other day but Dan wouldn't be out of class until 11:15 in which he had to drive home, pick me up and get me to class at 11:30. I needed to be ready the second he got home so I wouldn't be late to class. I sat on the steps like a sad little kid for about 3 minutes and then remembered (divine inspiration right here) that a window might be unlocked. I decided to check the side window so the whole apartment complex wouldn't see me having to break into my own apartment. I popped out the screen and saw the window was cracked open about an inch (later I found out Dan had did this just in case, bless his heart!). I proceeded to awkwardly fight the blinds and get into our apartment. 
Success!

One day I randomly asked Dan, "Do you think the ice cream man would come into these apartment complexes?" He replied that we wasn't entirely sure. 10 MINUTES LATER (I kid you not) the ice cream man came strolling down our complex. I was freaking out. "DAN! The ICE CREAM man!" He encouraged me to hurry before he drove away but I was having a mental battle between my inner child and inner adult. Adult was winning. THEN I saw our neighbors from across the street SPRINT out the road. Not being alone in something makes a big difference. Dan gave me some cash (how old am I? 7?) and I ran out there two. I proudly brought back two chocolate creamies and I think Dan was wiping tears from laughter. I'm sure from the outside my episode was hilarious.
Creamies were so worth it

We when to lunch with all the track coaches to The Hickory and it was really delicious. It's a newer BBQ place in Rexburg and they seem to be doing well. I really enjoyed the food! Our server was brand new (like first day brand new) and there were a few kinks in the orders but I'm the kind of person that understands and doesn't get mad. If I were him I wouldn't want to be yelled at. They were apologetic and tried to make it up to us. I would definitely go back! They're still working out some kinks but I love that their trying and improving!

While I was supposed to be studying for a test I remembered that the Rexburg farmers market was that night and texted Dan that we should go. The test went well by the way :) and we were off to the market that night. Dan hadn't been to a farmers market before so this was a great experience. Although it wasn't that big (c'mon it's Rexburg) I still loved it!
We got Mexican crazy corn (mayo, cheese and chili lime powder). Sounds weird I know but we had heard to much about it we had to try it. It was so good! I'd eat a million of them! Fresh onion rings made right there in front of us - also quite delicious. And lastly, fried oreos which were outstanding! Mmmm so good. I can't wait for the farmers markets in Boise when we move there!


Saturday was bomb because I slept in and stayed in my pajamas waayyy too long. But it was awesome. We each did some homework and studying. He went golfing. I made bread. We cleaned the apartment. He went for a run. I finally got ready. Then we went out to Red Robin.

Ate way too much food and way to many fries but it was again, so worth it.

We relaxed and went to bed early which is amazing. On Sunday we only had one little boy in nursery. We got lucky because there was only two of us leaders. We were worried that we'd be in over our heads with just us two. I really love getting to spend time with the children one on one. Their personalities really shine when they don't have to compete for attention. I also learned that even though they may not seem like they're listening and learning, they really are. They're so surprising, cute and smart.

Work has also been going well. My body has finally adapted to getting up and working that early and I really have my job down. I like talking to the guests, getting to know them and just socializing. A lot of them had really cool stories. This weekend has been so busy! Everyone's in town for Memorial Day weekend to go to Yellowstone or the sand dunes. We've been sold out for a couple of nights and breakfast is crazy. Well not super crazy, I can totally handle it. I love it when it's busy because I work well under pressure. It does get tricky though when guests just want to talk to you and you reaaallllly have a job to do because the waffle batter is out. I haven't quite figured out how to politely dislodge myself from a conversation so I can get my tasks down but I guess that's not a bad problem to have!

We also made this delicious BBQ chicken Pizza on Sunday
Home made pizza crust of course :)

Comments

  1. I love your great adventures Ducky

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are so adventurous and are always having so much fun!! Way to be an awesome example like always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to think we're adventurous haha Aww thank you so much Sami! No YOU are the great example! Love you :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wedding and a crash... does that make us wedding crashers?

This is Important

January