First Days of School!

This is how I felt
on the inside though. Obviously I didn't think that would be a good idea when I got up at 5am for work. Dan the man needs his sleep :) But seriously, I was a nervous wreck [on the inside]. While at work this morning I realized I haven't been in classes ON the BYUI campus since a year ago. Like Spring 2012. Um, hello? Where did the time go? Here's the run down of my classes

HS 360 - Community & Public Health Admin
Doesn't seem too bad. Do the work, study hard and get skills for the real world. He seems like a great teacher, I've heard a lot of great things about him but I really liked how his class is outlined about first learning what jobs are in this field and how to write a Health Science cover letter & a skills resume and how to find and apply for jobs. I feel this will be a really great class that will give us vital skills of what to do after a bachelors.

HS 310 - Environmental Health
My first impression of my teacher was this
I realize this makes me a terrible person but I was definitely cracking up of at the similarities and that a rat from a Disney movie was the first thing I thought of. He looks and talks like him! I've asked other people they totally agree.

He also seems like a great teacher and our classroom has these we're desk/chairs that I've never seen before! Okay I just searched on Google for 20 minutes to try to find them but I can't! I knew I should have snapped a picture. Okay so you'll just have to imagine it. Take this desk

See how the desk art is adjustable and can move around? Okay good, ours thought seem to have more mobility than that one appears to have. But the BEST thing about these chairs is that it's designed to have a baskest underneath for your stuff AND is has wheels. So take this desk, add a modern looking basket on the bottom, and the wheels underneath. They're so fun and modern looking. I was amazed.

HS 391 - Research Methods & Program Eval

I dropped another class to get into this one because they ended up opening another section of it. To be honest, I'm a little nervous for this one, but probably not for the reasons you'd think. I'm nervous because my teacher just newly graduated with his masters (as in Thursday) and he was just thrown into this class last minute. He's an exercise physiology guy and has done extensive research there but doesn't know anything about health science research. I have no doubt in my mind that he's brilliant and can teach but I'm just worried because there's currently no structure, syllabus or class plan. This could either work in my favor - having it be slightly easier because we all don't know what we're doing or incredibly frustrating for the exact same reason. Hmmm we'll see!

HS 460 - Drugs of Use and Abuse

My teacher looks like this

I'm serious. Like they're probably cousins or something. He's a really cool teacher though. He's a paramedic so he really knows and has seen the direct affect drugs can have. He pretty much told us this was an easy class, just gather as many points as your can. Out of a class of 60 last year 46ish got A's and he only gave out 1 C. I had no idea this class would be this easy but it's nice compared to my other classes. We just read, do chapter worksheets (online), listen to his lecture, have one presentation through out the semester and then take a test (online). No comprehensive final or anything. should be nice!

I raelly like this class so far because it's a nuetral class. It's not 'these are illegal drugs, this is why they are bad and don't legalize marijuana' it's more like facts. The biggest fact that a lot of people don't understand is that drugs aren't good or bad. They're a thing, they're just there! Those pills lying on the counter are not inherently evil or something, it's the way we choose to use or misuse them that can have good or bad affects of us and society. Should be a good class.

HS 370 - Epidemiology

I have the same teacher for this class as I do for Public Health Admin so I see this teacher almost everyday! He's a good teacher and he's funny so I don't mind at all. Yesterday I did realize that he does kind of look like this
Yes, this is my dad. Seriously my teacher slightly resembles him! If my dad shaved his beard, bam, they'd be long lost 2nd cousins or something. Anyways Epi should be a good class, probably one of my top three hardest but I think I will really enjoy the topic! It's pretty much a repeat right now of what I learned in Microbiology so it's a nice little review to start off.

FDREL 212 - New Testament Online

I took the first half (4 Gospels) last semester online now i'm taking the second half (Acts - Revelations) online. Same thing, I know the drill, easy peasy (but full of learning). 


Other note worthy things that happened this week:

- Dan crept up by the couch right next to be and scared me. I did a real scream that trailed off into an awkward long lasting squawk because I was mad he got me so good. He was proud.

- The days I work I get tired pretty early (still getting used to work and school) so we were reading scriptures one night and I was exhausted. As I was reading I totally fell asleep! I fell asleep saying 'marvelous work' and I ended it sleep-saying ' to come forth among the children of men' which wasn't right but totally Gospel related! I think that was the first thing to come to my subconscious because one year for mutual that was the scripture we repeated every Wednesday. It was hilarious.

- You remember how I won a blog contest for a $150 gift card to Down East right? I forgot to mention that I got the gift card in the mail!.. But I got two.. haha oops communication error? 


Anyways I emailed them on Saturday through the account they were contacting me through and I haven't heard A THING from them. I was hoping they'd just let me keep it haha (c'mon you all would too!) but I would send it back it that's what they asked. So all week I haven't heard a thing... The problem is we're going to Boise this week (track meet) and my mom and are obviously going to go shopping and if I don't hear back from them and find a bunch of things I would like to buy at Down East I'm probably going to use it... is that fair enough? Heck I don't even know if I can spend $300 in one trip (I honestly probably wouldn't be able to) But if for some reason I did do you think I'd be justified in spending it after not hearing from them in a week? Bah I don't know.

Overall school seems to be going well so far. Dan and I have worked out a schedule with sharing a car between my work & his classes (morning) and my classes and track practice (afternoon). We both have to make sacrifices (him getting up super early on some days and me staying on campus some days) but it's working out! Dan also got offered a job on campus to tutor for some accounting classes. He's deciding if he wants to do it or not so that's fun! We're doing well and I didn't get lost all week [knock on wood] so proud.

And if you watch The Walking Dead (especially my family) you need to read this article real quick :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wedding and a crash... does that make us wedding crashers?

This is Important

January