Colorful Colorado (21 & 22 week update)


How far along
21 weeks (5 months)
Baby is as big as a: 
Pomegranate
Total weight gain: 
7 lbs
Maternity clothes: 
I tried on some capris the other day and was surprised (but shouldn't have been) that they didn't fit! I guess my body is changing slowly to me so I don't notice it as quickly. I'm definitely going to need some maternity shorts and capris to survive this summer. And some dresses!
Sleep:
Still going well! My TMJ is finally calming back down, that should be back to normal soon. I was a little bit more tired this week than last.
Movement?
Everyday! Still can't feel it on the outside yet but I definitely feel him daily.
Best moment this week: 
Finding some names that I actually like. People expect me to already have a name (like I should have had it picked out a long time ago) but we definitely have finally found some we like.
Weird pregnancy moment:
After the hot dog incident (see last week) I make sure that I'm kinder when I share my food. I haven't had any weird moments as of this week.
Symptoms:
Encountered some pregnancy headaches this week, nothing new over here.
Food cravings:
Still loving the milk! When it comes to food I've noticed I'm having a harder than usual time deciding what to eat. I came home from church and my brain was like, 'Oh! PB&J sounds good. maybe egg salad. Ooohh chips and salsa. Chocolate.' But not all together, everything just sounds so good!
Food aversions: 
Zero.
Gender: 
BOY
What I'm looking forward to: 
We are going to Colorado this week which I am so excited for! Then we come back and I get to see baby again. It's cool that I'm starting to show a little bit but I am grateful for all this time that I still fit into my normal clothing.


Dan got some tickets to AT&T Byron Nelson which is part of the PGA Golf Tour. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was excited! At first it didn't seem super crowded and I thought, 'Oh this is nice! It's nothing like they look on TV' We were sitting at the second hole and watched all the groups come through. Then it all made sense. In about 10 seconds flat another 100 people squeezed their way around the hole for Jordan Spieth. He's been in the public eye a lot after winning the Masters in 2015 but I think since he's from Dallas it just makes him that much more popular. I was surprised how many people were there just to follow HIM alone. He had his own security guard and camera crew, it was crazy!



It was interesting to see distinct groups of people there. No judgements here, this is strictly what I observed;
1. The people who actually know, enjoy and are watching the golf. These are the people who are dressed appropriately for a golf tournament, are quiet and respectful during play and are enjoying the day.
2. The hicks, You'll run into them everywhere in Texas, it's inevitable
3. The socialites. These are easy to spot by their club attire and unwise footwear decisions. You could see the ones who were struggling on the 17th hole. They're the ones who only come to meet people of the other gender who can also afford the all inclusive package tickets. They are up in a box not really watching the game on TV. They're the ones who officials are using their laser eyes at when trying to quiet the crowd during play. One girl I heard was throwing a fit because, "I was told there would be air conditioning!"
4. The drunks. These are probably my least favorite and mostly consisted of your stereotypical Dallas or Frat boys. You could tell how many beers they'd had by the number of buttons that were undone on their shirt. They're the ones that hoot and holler RIGHT AFTER the golfer tee's off or putts. These hollers usually consist of their school (i.e. ROLL TIDE)  but sometimes become more and more of a drunken inaudible mess (I think I heard a, 'MASHED POTATOES'?) They're also trying to sneak pictures on their phones during the play of the game. I don't know, seems disrespectful in my book!



It was hot but beautiful and the overcast clouds were a huge relief from the sun. I put sunscreen on twice and still ended but with a small burn and Dan just got even darker. I don't know a ton about golf so it was fun to experience and have Dan teach me. We kept super hydrated and I'm an expert at the portapotty hover technique since I pee a million times a day now.



How far along
22 weeks (just over 5 months)
Baby is as big as a: 
Spaghetti squash
Total weight gain: 
?? lbs I haven't weighed myself in Colorado but I'm guessing 9 lbs
Maternity clothes: 
I'm definitely to the point where I look fat mayyybe pregnant. The way my clothes fit is a little annoying and I'm thinking its time for me to go through the maternity clothes I have and fix/hem them so I can be more comfortable.
Sleep:
Still loving that sleep. I've forgot to mention for the last 2-3 weeks I have been experiencing leg cramps. In the morning I'll stretch and my calves with cramp, not as bad as a charlie horse but I've still had to be careful. When we went hiking in Colorado my calves were extra sore!
Movement?
All the time. I don't feel him a lot when I'm moving because he's probably all rocked to sleep but I always feel him when I sit down. It's mostly light movements and I can kind of feel him from the outside. I've tried to have Dan feel him and it's been really faint but it's there.
Best moment this week: 
Traveling to Colorado! Such a fun or relaxing vacation. Do I have to go back to real life? Being at the top of the flat irons was so serene and I can't wait to do the Bolder Boulder!
Weird pregnancy moment:
We got up at 3am to catch our flight home and I was in so much pain. My ovaries were killing me. It was a dull, achy pain so I wasn't alarmed but still it was very uncomfortable. Luckily it subsided as the morning went on and I was able to sleep on the plane. It was probably baby pushing on things, growing pains and soreness all in one.
Symptoms:
Restless legs on the airplane, not fun.
Food cravings:
 I wouldn't call this is a craving but I was very much looking forward to Dan's mom's waffles! We've used her recipe but it's all in the waffle iron you use. Hers is well loved and it's makes the best waffles! I've always had a sweet tooth but it's been intensified by pregnancy.
Food aversions: 
All gone
Gender: 
BOY
What I'm looking forward to: 
The next ultrasound to make sure the dilation went down and to see our baby boy!


We weren't sure if we were going to Colorado but when tickets dropped to $36 it was kind of a no brainer! Even though we just went to Idaho on a vacation, I was ready for another break. Things at work for the both of us have been busy and a lot going on so this was welcome. We flew out late Tuesday night and let me just say, one of the first things you don't want to hear from the person you're sitting next to you on the flight is, "I have the meat sweats" Oh boy I thought, this is not going to be good. Lucky for me I didn't notice anything.. out of the ordinary which I was grateful for.

Day 1
We were going to drive up to Breckenridge and stay the night there but the more we looked into it seemed like most things were closed in their transition to spring and summer. So instead we decided to go to Chautauqua Park and hike the Flatirons. It was a great hike! The weather was perfect, we saw some fun wildlife and we made it to the top. Dan was patient with my breaks as I adjusted to the altitude and the uphill climb. The view was breathtaking! Originally I didn't realize there was a path that lead all the way to the top, I was a bit intimidated when I found out but we made it! My legs were shaky when we sat down to eat and refuel. Going down was fun easier, I just had to adjust for my jello legs. After the hike I thought for sure my quads and glutes would be the most sore from the uphill climb but what's actually been killing me since is my very sore calves. Who would have thought? It was so worth it though.


 












Definitely needed some food by the time we were finished so we went to this Chinese restaurant in Broomfield that Dan has frequented before. Why go to Panda when you can get more, better tasting food at Heaven Dragon? It's a no-brainer, sorry Panda. We came home, cleaned up and watched a movie. I thought Pitch a Perfect 2 was way funnier than the first one. We ate dinner then watched a movie with Dan's parents. Parental Guidance was hilarious!

Day 2
We were lucky enough that we could spend the day with his parents! It was going to be a rainy day so we went to the Denver Science and Nature Museum. It. Was. Amazing! So big and the exhibits were very cool. Lots of fun hands on things for kiddos and plenty to keep adults entertained as well. It took us a good 3-4 to see it all and actually, we just saw most of it. I'd say 90% of it. Plus I got to walk all day and loosen up my very tight calves. That took a majority of our day so we came home and relaxed, had dinner and played a game! I didn't know they came out with a Settlers of Catan but for America? It's a little different but still fun none of the less! More complicated and adds new dynamics for the game.








Day 3
This was our Denver day which was mostly for me. I wanted to do some touristy things since the only time I've been in Denver is for the Rockies Games I've been to. We went down to 16th Street Mall and spent the day walking and looking around. I saw some of the most interesting people. We saw some unique people, places and things. We went down to the capital and got to walk around inside, it was so pretty.











There's a cathedral basically right across the street from it and I've never been in a cathedral so I really wanted to go. The people hanging outside of the cathedral were probably some of the most interesting (and high) that I saw. Anyways so we're looking at the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception and we're like uhh can we go in? Where do we go it? I don't know! I've never been Catholic before. We hadn't seen anyone go in or out so I was unsure. We saw a guy go in that looked like we knew what he was doing so we followed suit. It was so gorgeous of the inside! I mean I haven't been to one before but I thought this one was so pretty. I think it's important to learn about people, their religions and beliefs so you can understand then better. Although I my beliefs are different I enjoys the peaceful reverence you could feel inside. After that adventure we stopped for lunch at Noodles and Co because there aren't any in DFW- can you believe that?!









My single request in Denver is that we get VooDoo Doughnuts! My mom and I always watched the food channel together and I remember seeing this place on TV. I've been to a couple different cities where they have a store but never went and always wished I did,so this time I told Dan we have to go! We picked out some fun (and less scandalous) doughnuts which was located right next to one of the two marijuana stores we saw. Ironic, no? 

We walked in and saw some of our friends, the Flanders! This was so random because we knew they were moving and thought they were already gone. They happened to be moving that day and were grabbing some doughnuts before they left. What are the odds? So glad we saw them! We got our doughnuts in our famous pink box and were on our way. We stopped to get gas and what do you know Dan's old coworker is gassing up next to us! He's someone I've heard many stories about and have wanted to meet! It was so random and fun. Seriously what are the odds! So glad Dan got to see him and I got to meet him.

Okay back to the doughnuts we got home and I dug in! I was looking forward to the Oreo and the chocolate covered Bavarian cream filled (always my favorite doughnut). Now aside from all the hype this place and these doughnuts get, they are seriously some of the best I've ever had! So glad we went. That night we grabbed some dinner at a sandwich place called Snarfs and rented Mockingjay Part 2.








Day 4
I don't know why but I felt very tired this day! Dan and I ran some errands and bought some Rockies hats which I was super excited about. We grabbed lunch at Chick Fil A because we got free sandwiches in our Bolder Boulder swag bags, YUM! We relaxed in the afternoon and I totally fell asleep. Dan and his dad went to go play a round of golf and I kept reading a book that I borrowed from Dan's mom. It's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. With this baby coming I've really wanted to get everything in our house in order and organized. I also live with the King of Minimalism who is really good at discarding things. I on the other hand, have been getting better, but could use a good outline and nudge. I read about this book somewhere online when I was searching pinterest for organization ideas and really wanted to read it so I put it on my Amazon wish list. When I saw it just laying on the table here in Colorado I was like Oh, I have to read it! I'm hoping to finish it before I leave, so far I love it!

We had dinner, Dan made me the best steak! Of course I needed to have it more cooked than I'd usually like but somehow he still made it so juicy and tender without being dry and still cooked all the way through! He's a grill master. We played a game and then hung out and went to bed.

Day 5
The Sabbath. Always a good day to relax and rejuvenate. It was fun to be able to go to Sunday School and Relief Society. I teach primary, which I enjoy, but it was a nice change of pace to be in the adult classes. It's always fun to visit Dan's home ward and see all the people that watched him grow up.

Day 6
This was the day I was looking forward to the most with excitement and a touch of nervous butterflies. Dan and I did the Bolder Boulder! The Bolder Boulder is a 10k (6.2 mile) race that has become pretty popular in the last 38 years it's been going on. It's not just your average race though. When Dan was telling me about it he described it as the "funnest 10k" and an "experience". Boy he sure was right! Dan has done this race growing up and wanted to do it again so I decided why not, I can walk/jog it at 23 weeks pregnant!

We got up early and took the bus down to the starting area and suddenly I was kind of nervous! I think the butterflies came from this being a new experience, I've never done a 10k before. I pushed myself, it was hard but I did it. Along with fun things along the race, the best part is the end where you do a lap in the University of Colorado stadium. It's brings a feeling that's hard for me to put into words- pride, success, happiness, unity.



Being at altitude and not really training for it, I was just your normal person doing a 10k. Dan was sweet enough to do it with me and be my cheerleader until the last mile when he wanted to see what his mile time was. There was almost constant music along the way- bands, people singing karaoke , people playing in their own bands, drum lines, bag pips, Elvis, steel drums, Brazilian groups, belly dancers with drums. The race goes past a lot of houses so there were many houses with fun things in front of them. I think I counted 2 or 3 slip-n-slides, 1 giant pool, a tumble track (if I wasn't pregnant I would have been ALL OVER that), people handing out cupcakes and my personal favorite- the free doritos station. People were dressed up like Doritos with huge bowls of chips. I grabbed 2 and it was a nice pick me up mid race. It was basically just one big party the whole race, people watching and cheering the whole way.

Out of all that, my favorite part was when I saw this older couple and their two CORGIS! They were standing on the corner practically begging for me to pet them. I went up and asked if I could pet them and she responded, "Yes, please! Everyone come get your corgi fix!!" Ah, she gets me! I thought. They were so cute! Even Dan said they were pretty cute and it was near the end of the race so it totally made my day.






I really liked running into the stadium and especially on my own. Dan ran the last mile and actually got to watch me finish but it was a great moment for me to finish the race on my own. I almost starting crying! It was a mix of hormones, shock of the loud stadium, pain and realizing that I did it! Even though Dan was cheering me on the whole way, he didn't do it for me- I DID IT. It was just a very proud moment. I took an awesome selfie at the finish, you're welcome, and then it was time for food and to find Dan. They had sack lunches, water, soda and of course beer. Dan found me and we ate our snacks in the bleachers while watching other people finish. You had everything from firefighters in full gear, military and panda suits or inflatable flamingos. People were very creative.
Well everything worked out, we got through, got some food and made our flight no problem. It was raining in Denver when we took off and it was raining in Texas when we landed. Except in Texas it was hot and humid! There are two things I miss about Idaho/ Colorado and that is 1) The mountains 2) The cool dry air. I love that in the west it can get hot during the day, but still cools off at night. In Texas lately it's just been muggy crap!






We got on the bus and made our way back home. I was so excited to shower! It had gotten pretty warm outside and I didn't put an sunscreen on. I got a small burn. The color was gone the next day but the sting lingered. You'd think after doing the race we'd be beat and relax the rest of the day, but not us! Quick shower and we were off to the Rockies game!

Baseball on Memorial Day is so American right? The game was so fun! Unfortunately they lost but we still had a good time. Hot dogs and basically all four season in one afternoon. It was scorching hot, then cloudy, then pouring rain, hot and then cloudy- what a rollercoaster. I loved spending Memorial Day there because they had a cool program with a giant flag, honored those who have died and recognized those who are serving. Really helped me celebrate and appreciate the holiday. We had an awesome time though but after we went home and relaxed.







Day 7 
This was our last full day in Colorado and it was bittersweet. We spent it seeing a fun movie with Dan's parents then going bowling. Zootopia was great and I loved it. Bowling was good for me too because I was SO SORE from the previous week of activities. We got ice cream on the way home, ran some errands then ordered pizza for dinner. Perfect last day!

We had to get up at 3am for our flight! I haven't had to be up at that hour in a long time (oh just wait until baby comes right?!) but like I mentioned above, baby must not like being shaken at that hour because I was in some weird pain! Within an hour it was gone but it wasn't fun to endure. 

I see people congregating on the drop off curb as we pull up to the airport but really didn't think anything of it. It's 4am, we walk in to check our bags and I gasped. The Southwest bagged check line was twisted all up in their little station, down the hall, around the corner and almost down the stairs. Just to check bags. Panic sets in and it suddenly dawns on me why all those people were standing outside, curbside bag check. We rush back out there to get in line, Dan takes the checked bags and send me on a mission to find cash to tip. I followed all the maps to an ATM and never found one. When I walked pass all the bag checking and saw the security line again PANIC sets in. It was a long line. We knew that TSA has been understaffed and having long wait times, but we did not expect the baggage counter to be that bad. Luckily I was given TSA precheck and was able to skip the line with Dan. I don't want to imagine what would happen if I had to wait in the regular time. I was totally wrong to guess that the airport wouldn't be hoppin' on a Wednesday at 4am.



so. much. rain.

Comments

  1. We never did the Boulder Bolder when we lived there Even! And I wasn't pregnant either. Good for you and Dan. It sounds like you two are a going concern. Nice to read your Blog - we love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wedding and a crash... does that make us wedding crashers?

This is Important

January