April

April was a great month and we did a lot of fun things! The weather got warmer and my parents came to town!







I did this Face Swap with Brooks and Thomas for a laugh and I got more than I bargained for! HA! How horrifying! Anyways, my parents came to visit Texas and of course one of our first stops has to be Buc-ees! Even Brooks recognizes and can say Buc-ees now. I appreciate their world famous clean bathrooms ever more now that I have a potty trained toddler.

My dad's 2 goals this trip were to 1. Have fun with Brooks (no brainer right?) and 2. Eat as much BBQ as humanly possible. You'll see these themes through out their stay. Our first adventure was the Sea Life Aquarium in Grapevine. Upon our arrival, we were very happy to see the 3 school buses packed full of kids were going to LegoLand and not the Aquarium, yay!

In the Shark Tunnel



Blurry pictures of my toddler not looking is the story of my life right now.


The Aquarium was awesome and Brooks ran to each new exhibit excitedly yelling the animal names! I especially loved seeing the sea turtles. Last time I came the exhibit was under construction. Now it's finished and homes a few rescue turtles. There's an interactive exhibit where you "rescue" a play turtle, weigh it, doctor it back to health and to my surprised Brooks really enjoyed that part.


We decided since we were already half way there, we;d make the rest of the trek to Dallas and eat at the famous Pecan Lodge. It was very good! The brisket was a little more fatty than I prefer but that's me being picky. It was excellent.

Grandma brought fun new toys, books and puzzles for them to do together. I think Brooks was most excited for new monster trucks!



The next day we went to the Fort Worth Nature Reserve which I had never been to (or heard of if I'm being honest!). I wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it. in the community center they had some animal exhibits with snapping turtles, possum, small alligators and other native animals. We arrived just as they were feeding them so that was fun to watch! They had a touch table and lots of information about the animals in Texas.

We went outside and did some light hiking and followed a few paths. Brooks did great hiking and had so much energy and excitement to jump off all the rocks, pick up every stick and point out every cactus (EVERY SINGLE ONE). We went down to the water, drove to the look out and saw some pretty views.




Brooks decided he needed a rest.








"Mama! More CACTUSES!"

We found a place in Saginaw called Bullfrog BBQ and decided to give a a try for lunch. It was pretty good for it being so small! We spent the rest of the day napping, eating dinner then Dan and I went on a bowling date where I put the pressure on him and actually beat him in one of our games. Fun date night!

The weekend they came was also conference weekend so we spent a majority of Saturday and Sunday watching General Conference which was wonderful and uplifting. Our ward did a BBQ dinner for the men going to the Priesthood Session so my dad even got his fill on Saturday too! While the men went to the Priesthood Session the Relief Society hosted a farm play date at our President's farm.

This was heaven for Brooks and it was heart melting to watch him play and love on the animals. He probably chased the goats too much, oops, but he just loves running! My mom (the goat whisperer apparently) caught a baby one for Brooks to hold and he was extremely happy. The pictures I got are some of my favorite EVER! He was so gentle, soft, loving and curious about the baby goats. I'm sure he'd sit there and hold them all night if I let him.






 The face of pure joy!


Once the weekend was over we jumped right back into adventuring and went to the Fort Worth Zoo. Last time we came the bird exhibit was closed but we got lucky and it was open this time! As you can guess Brooks loved this exhibit and was giggling the whole time. He thought it was funny when the birds flew so unfortunately he stared poking the birds with his stick oops!






We saw tons of animals and even got to feed the giraffes! Brooks thought it was hilarious when the giraffes licked him trying to get the lettuce. Our zoo has a new section where the giraffes, hippos and rhinos are and they did such a good job with it! It was a beautiful exhibit.
For lunch that day I took everyone to Heim BBQ in Fort Worth. I personally love Heim and thought it was great!

These pictures are from my parents last full day in Texas. We went down to the Fort worth stockyards to see the cattle drive. Every morning and night they take the Long horns in and out of pasture down main street. Brooks even got to sit on one after! He kept saying, "This cow lost?" because it wasn't with the other cows and said, "It's broken? Not moving?" because it was standing still ha! I guess he wanted to ride it down the street!






The next day we took my parents to the airport and said our goodbyes. I say this every time they come but we love it when they're here and miss them when they leave. Brooks is at such a fun age and it's so fun to see him love his grandparents. Brooks was spoiled and I think my parents had an awesome time.

After my parents went home we had to go back to reality. I've suddenly had some inspiration and motivation to decorate certain walls in my house so off to Home Goods Brooks and I went. I purchased a big mirror for our bedroom. I knew it was big but I didn't think or realize it was HUGE until we tried to fit it in my car. It took some creative thinking and for a couple minutes I didn't think it was going to happen, but by some weird luck we got it to fit! Thank goodness I have an automatic because I couldn't touch or move the gear shift! Brooks seemed to enjoy it though.

I've been having a massive breakout on my chin so I thought a restorative face mask specifically for breakouts would be appropriate and helpful. It was a Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Mask. It tingled when I first put it on but it didn't hurt or sting. When I took it off the crap hit the fan. These pictures don't do it justice but it BURNED my skin. Flaming hot, tender and painful burns! So painful, would not recommend. By the end of the day the redness and pain went down but my breakout was still large and in charge.

We went camping again! I don't have any pictures because when I go camping I want to unplug completely so I didn't even carry my phone. We had a great time! We ate dinner before we left, then drove up to the lake. To our surprise it was actually pretty busy but we found a spot and set up camp. While Dan was setting up the tent Brooks and I walked down to the lake to throw rocks- his favorite activity. Next thing I know he turns around and his sweat pants are SOAKED. I had asked him multiple time if he had to go and tried to trust him when he said "I'm good!" against my better judgement. By the grace of God I packed a 2nd pair of pants for him at THE LAST SECOND that we were leaving. I walked out of the house for the last time, but then walked back in and grabbed another pair of pants. HALLELUJAH! We packed light and that was the only pair of pants I originally packed for him and it was chilly that night!

So I get him changed and introduce him to peeing outside. I had this weird and extreme fear of accidentally dropping him down the pit toilets. BLEH! Makes me shudder just thinking about it! I know that's borderline impossible BUT peeing on a tree was much easier (and fun) for a newly potty trained toddler.

We stayed up late, made a fire and roasted marshmallows. Brooks was so good and remembered to be careful around the fire. Sometimes I forget he's barley 2.5 because he acts older (sometimes!). That night went mostly good! Brooks and Dan slept perfect. I somehow froze to death and was in and out all night. I knew I'm prone to be colder so I WAS PREPARED. I wore my warmest pants, 2 pairs of wool socks, a thermal long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, a beanie under my hoodie hood, and two of my warmest blankets INSIDE my sleeping bag (which was the warmest of the 3). WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? I was so cold?

Around 6:30am Brooks wanted to snuggle with me which I didn't oppose to (because I was freezing) and we just laid in the tent waking up and talking while Dan started the fire and boiled some water. We had hot chocolate and a delicious dutch oven breakfast, we got dressed for the day, cleaned up a bit then went on a hike. Brooks loved the hike... almost too much? Haha because we had to stop for every stick and rock but we still were able to hike for over an hour. We only had to carry him the last 5 minutes or so haha!

We packed up and went home but had so much fun camping. Brooks non stop talks about sleeping in the tent, making smores and a fire. I love to watch him experience new things!

Brooks and I dyed easter eggs! To be honest I wasn't quite sure how to involve him... with out INVOLVING him (aka being covered in dye). Before we started I explained the rules and expectations about the (very stain-able) dye. He listened and followed instructions perfectly! He was still creative, hands on and had fun but I wasn't stressed about everything being dyed orange.

I have this vivid memory that was recounted to me countless time. I don't believe I was old enough to remember it but we had just moved into our first new house in Meridian Idaho. We were dying Easter eggs and my brother spilled the blue dye all over the carpet! Ahhh! I can't imagine the amount of restraint my parents had. Glad I have tile in my kitchen ;)





Brooks of course had to put stickers on his face too.

Our friends from church threw a huge Easter party at their ranch. They had over 200 people and 3,000+ eggs. We all brought food and eggs and they had the space and some fun games set up. Bubbles, sand pit, farm animals, soccer, tug o war, toys, corn hole and more. We played and ate food then let the kids go wild looking for eggs. The littles just hunted for the on the lawn while the big kids ran and searched all over the ranch. Brooks really understood it this year and ate so much candy that day!




For Easter Sunday while Brooks was finishing breakfast I set this up in his room. Since he had plenty of candy, I bought him a new book and the Clifford Movie, then hid eggs around the house. Watching him search and find the eggs at home was my favorite. Because they were just out everywhere he was much more excited to find the eggs. He excited yelled, "ANOTHER EASTER EGG! A BLUE ONE MAMA!" I have it on video and I giggle every time I watch it.

That night we made our traditional Easter dinner- ham, funeral potatoes, green beans and rolls. SO MUCH YUM! We had some friends over with their new little baby, SWOON! It was so fun talking and catching up with them and Brooks was all over that baby! Wanting to hold him, pointing out him "wittle toes" and features.
Church was wonderful and was very centered on the mission and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Being in Texas I've learned a lot about the many beliefs around me. Although most are a form of Christian or Baptist it's amazing to see how truly different each one is. Regardless of faith or beliefs I know Jesus died for everyone. He took upon him the sins of everyone out of love, compassion and grace. I know he rose on the third day and that resurrection gives us all hope that death is not the end. We all will be resurrected through the love and grace of Jesus Christ through God the Father. This knowledge brings me so much joy when I see the death, destruction and sadness in this world. Easter is the holiday that brings me so much peace.

This collection of pictures are all random. Brooks dressed himself and came out to show me with him flags, glasses, and too big pants- had me laughing! Then poor things smashed his fingers under a paving stone that fell. Thought it might be broken because he was crying more than usual, but it ended up being ok.

While I was making dinner one night, totally unbenknownst to me- Brooks took his race cars outside in the mud. At first I was a little frustrated because I wasn't sure if he ruined them. But then I walked out to where he was playing with them and just laughed! He had them all set out, doing what they were supposed to be doing. The digger digging, the dump truck dumping and best of all he stuck and American flag right in the center!! MY HEART! Are you kidding me!? I love this kid!

Dan was traveling for work (and some play) one weekend so on Friday night Brooks and I popped some popcorn and watched his new Clifford movie. He loved it!

  
While Dan was away Brooks and I continued to play! I snagged a reservation to the soft opening for a new Olive Garden close to us. Brooks and I went and had lunch at one of my favorite places and it was all on the house! We got yummy lemonade, steak and pasta, Brooks got pizza and we shared a dessert. My kind of afternoon!




He takes the last bread stick and does this. I shouldn't be surprised.




At our local library they have a program for kids to read 1000 Books Before Kindergarten. I didn't know about it until his birthday last October so we've only been doing it for a bit. Every 100 books he gets a sticker and a prize book to keep. This time he chose a Lego Firefighter book and was so excited about it! He also found the drinking fountain which is why he's soaking wet.
  
Sometime when you have a sad allergy ridden kiddo you just rock them to sleep.


It's spring which means crazy weather at times in Texas. We had our first tornado warning (A 'watch' is just be alert, a 'warning' is get in your safe spot!) So here we are in our safe spot waiting for it to pass when... uh oh someone has to poop. I thought we had time so we went to the bathroom, then the power went out so we opted to go back to our safe spot with the portable toilet!

There was a visible rotation right over us, crazy rain and strong winds. Our neighborhood and streets were mentioned by name on the news saying you need to take cover NOW. Although it was rotating, thankfully it never touched down by us. In this screen shot form the news I live close to where the word ROTATION is.

Here is a picture from my neighborhood of it passing by.


It touched down in Justin and Denton as EF 1 (lowest category) and from what I heard was mostly tree damage thankfully! After the tornado alerts we had lots of flash flooding. Dan had to drive through a tricky spot on the way home. A friend took these pictures of the park we play at!

We now have a water park!






This is the creek that runs partially through the greenbelt and connects behind our house.


Brooks and I had more chalk fun. He requested Thomas the Train this time.


We're apart of Parents as Teachers with our local school district and got to fun learning activities with them every month. They had their end of year Field Day that was full of fun physical activities. Brooks favorite was the obstacle course- he did it over and over again for 20 minutes!
The end of April marks the unofficial end of busy season. Over all this busy season felt easier because I've done it ...five times. WOW FIVE? Five! Well it's never easy persay but my ability to handle is it easier for right now and I know what to expect. Dan was in town a lot more this year and without being Scoutmaster too, it was a big burden lifted from him. We're enjoying our Saturdays with him home and even being home for dinner here and there now too! Brooks asks me every other day when the pool opens, thankfully that's the middle of May for us so be ready for lots of pool fun next month! I can't wait!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wedding and a crash... does that make us wedding crashers?

This is Important

January