The Optimist's Creed

Well I did it. I  made a blog and to be honest it was a little bit harder than I thought! But I don't think this looks too shabby yeah? I'm rather proud. I've been wanting to make a blog for a while now for a couple of reasons. Sometimes I just want to type (not write) the things I'm feeling or the things going on in my life but I don't want to be one of those people who do it on Facebook. C'mon, we all have those friends. Blogging is instead of announcing it to the whole world, only those who want to read will follow. As Dan and I get married we can update family and friends about what we're doing. And lastly, I just love reading journal type blogs! Just about the everyday maybe not super exciting things and especially of newly weds because that's going to be me! I kind of glean these blogs of advice and experience I guess? Anyways, I've started a blog and it feels good!


I also wanted to explain the name of my blog Too Happy To Permit the Presence of Trouble. When I name things, ANYTHING, I don't just throw out a name and call it good. No matter what it is; car, pet, stuffed animal, blog - I think about it. Soon enough a name will come along and it'll just be right. It took me about three days to figure out this name.

Lately Dan and I have been going through some trials. It's not fighting or relationship matters between us, it's more like life problems. We've both been down this week but were able to talk to each other, vent, encourage and learn how to help each other. On Friday I wrote him a note and got up in the morning to leave it on his car. Despite the fact it was BRIGHT WHITE and he looked RIGHT at it he didn't notice it's presence until after class. We laugh about that now :). In the letter I explained how the qualities I've always dreamed my husband of having are ones he possesses. Among all the lovey stuff I ended with a challenge for the both of us to choose to be happy. There will always be something to worry about and there will always be trials. Finding the joy in the journey is essential to enjoy life. We both needed to hear it and it's made a great effect to far. So then I decided I wanted the title to do something with happiness.

Then I had brilliant meaning and a way to make it very special and personal to me. The Optimist's Creed is a poem I received when I was 13 in sunday school. It's a list of things to promise yourself. I kept it since that class and it affected me so profoundly. It's something that can always bring me up on those sad days.


I Promise Myself 
To be so strong that nothing can disturb my peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person I meet.
To make all my friends feel that there is something worthwhile in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything, and make my optimism come true. 
To think only of the best, to work only for the best and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful expression at all times and give a smile to every living creature I meet.
To give so much time to improving myself that I have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
To think well of myself and to proclaim this fact to the world, not in loud words, but in great deeds.
To live in the faith that the whole world is on my side, so long as I am true to the best that is in me.
by Christian D. Larson - 1912 from The Secret

Love this. So when I wanted the name to be about happiness, I thought of this line and BAM I got a name. It just seemed right with recent events and this poem is how I want to live my life. Back at home it was taped on my wall before I framed it and hung it up. It really means a lot to me. So there you have it, the optimist's creed.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wedding and a crash... does that make us wedding crashers?

This is Important

January